Beginning Barre an Introduction

You’ve probably heard of Barre Classes because they are all the rage right now in the fitness world. If you haven’t then this is the perfect opportunity for you to learn what it is and why you should be adding it to your fitness routine.

What is Barre?

Quite literally, barre, a french word originating in the 20th century, is the support system dancers use to stretch and balance on. Over the years the exercises done on the barre became known as ‘barre exercises’  or ‘barre warm-up’. So, barre is a series of warm-up exercises that ballet dancers use to before beginning any type of training or choreography.

It’s a wonderful series of exercises that focuses on controlled movement done at a barre to warm the joints, muscles, and tendons. It’s become so popular because of the lengthening and toning effects it has on the muscles.

In addition to dancers using these exercises for warm-up they also use them to promote strength, good posture, balance, and core strength. This is something we all could use a bit more of. A dancers tall lean physique doesn’t happen by accident. It takes hours of these barre exercises to chisel a dancers body. The good news is you can get the dancers physique with a little education and a lot of practice.

How it works

So, we know what barre is now, but what is the basic barre routine. Honestly, each studio has a different structure of barre routines they give their dancers for the warm-up but 70% of them are all done at the barre. The remaining 30% are done on the floor, similar to exercises you would do in pilates.

In my Beginning Barre Series you I will take you through the basic terminology, the typical barre exercises, and also the supporting floor exercises that will aid in supporting core strength.

Can Anyone do It?

Yes! Barre exercises are great because anyone can do them. There are some classes I teach where we don’t go down to the ground at all due to balance capabilities. Still other classes we work solely on core and upper body movements because of lack of use or function in the legs. The key is do what you are capable of.

Dancing should be fun and working out should be fun. If you aren’t having fun then barre might not be a good fit for you. If you’ve never tried it before, then I definitely recommend it. If you don’t like barre a better fit might be pilates.

As always, make sure you’re doing a variety of exercises routines. We want to keep those muscles guessing while also working the different types of muscle fibers, balance, coordination, and cardiovascular system.

If you need help working out a fitness plan structure I’m always here to help.

xo,

isabelle

Comments are closed.